Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Student Loans: Till Death Do Us Part

As my bio says I go to St. Lawrence University in Canton, New York. Located in a small rural community, St. Lawrence and the other surrounding colleges (Potsdam, SUNY Canton, Clarkson) are similar to the tan Cheerio-like pieces in Lucky Charms cereal, easy to pick out and not the best part of the mix as the beautiful farmland is interrupted by ugly academic buildings. While I can only speak for my own college, and even that has it's merits, basically what I feel as a senior about to graduate in less than two weeks isn't nostalgia or sadness but is instead jaded at the system.
While I was able to get a lot out of the university academically, graduating with an English and Government double major (honors in both) and a Peace Studies minor, in addition to being on the Varsity Nordic Ski Team for all four years, I believe that the school asks for a lot financially from it's students. With full tuition pushing $60,000 per year a good majority of students, myself included, attend the school on scholarship. And I fully recognize that it is because of the generous donations to scholarship funds that I am even in attendance at St. Lawrence. Yet despite having received over $20,000 from the university I am still leaving the school with excessive, although sadly not abnormal, loans. And on top of the money I received from St. Lawrence I also applied for other annual scholarships including the Elks and St. Mary's and received a number of financial awards from high school. And still in spite of all this the loans remain.
In no way do I want to sound ungrateful for the opportunities I have been granted or the financial gifts that I have received. I appreciate that I was able to attend a prestigious liberal arts college and recognize that I am exceptionally privileged. And St. Lawrence is certainly not an anomaly as tuition costs are on the rise for most colleges across the board. Rather I believe that the price of getting a college degree is becoming more and more out of reach for a number of families and students. 
As someone who comes from a very middle-class family (my mother was a middle school math teacher for over thirty years and my father has been a firefighter since getting out of the Navy in his twenties and has since risen to the rank of Assistant Chief) my parents have definitely struggled to put three children through college. I clearly remember sitting on the landing of my stairs eavesdropping on a conversation between my parents when I was in about first grade school having to do with the price of college. My dad had suddenly freaked out about how expensive sending all three of his children to college would be. He promptly got a second job at Stewart's warehouse loading and unloading trucks. His schedule at the warehouse had him arriving home around two or three in the morning and involved him having to get up only a few hours later to be at the firehouse by eight. He continued to do this job throughout my middle school days eventually leaving it because of how much time he was missing with the family.
And my father wasn't the only one taking on the load of college tuition. Since retiring from teaching two years ago, my mother got a job at Merrell and continues to substitute teach and chaperon events at the school to help reduce the burden college loans for my brothers and I. 
And my siblings and I are of course not immune to work, having all had jobs since we were of legal working age. I personally spent most of my summers and schools breaks working the 4AM-12PM shift at Dunkin Donuts. I got prematurely judged by most customers as incompetent based on my place of employment, probably thinking that a fast-food restaurant would be my career as they were unaware of my academic pursuits. 
One fun story about just such ignorance was when a regular customer asked me where I had been for the past few months, that they hadn't seen me in awhile. I replied that I had been at college. The look of surprise on their face and then the shock when I informed them that I attended St. Lawrence ("that's a good schools!") confirmed for me the judgement most customers, even nice ones, make about fast-food employees.
While I'm at college I work at sporting events, babysit, move furniture, do lawn work, and participate in on-campus experiments ranging from salivating in test tubes to answering computer questions. On our schools website (SLUWire) I answered any call for help as long as it was attached to some cash. Finding the time for this is of course all in addition to a full course load and a year-round sport. 
My point with this is that even people who have saved and explore any financial option, no matter how degrading, continue to be plagued by student loans. In my opinion the cost of higher education is astronomical and students shouldn't have to give up the opportunity to attend a top college because of the cost. And as the "Loan Counselling Exit Survey" that all seniors with loans had to take kindly informed us, death is the only option for not repaying your loans.
***
I want to be clear again that I am appreciative of the opportunities that I have been given and that I acknowledge many students are in worse situations. But this is the situation of a very average person and represents the struggle of an average student dealing with student loans.



No comments:

Post a Comment